2013-10-16

I Have Never Seen Mercury


Since I’ve taken up stargazing again in 2010 the opportunity to see Mercury, that sun-hugging innermost planet, has never arose. In other words I have never seen Mercury, truly a confession any stargazer should be ashamed of.

My Central London observing site (my terrace at my home) provides a good Eastern facing aspect but objects low in the Western sky are obscured by houses. Mercury and other planets close to the setting sun are beyond my reach.

The triple conjunction of Jupiter, Venus and Mercury in late May 2013, when all three planets were within 5 degrees of each other soon after sunset, provoked me to attempt to see Mercury for the first time.



















Credit: Chris Schur.

Could I find a near-by site to view a western horizon within Central London with my telescope? No. And as I didn’t wish to travel outside town I decided to go Mercury hunting in London street armed with my binoculars, an old East German Carl Zeiss 10x50 pair.

On the evening of the 27th May I walked to a suitable vantage spot in a Central London street and waited on a pavement for dusk and the appearance of the triplet. The spot turned out not to be sufficiently suitable: no planets were seen, buildings still hindered my view. I tried again the following evening in another street – another failure. There are too many buildings in London. I did succeed in receiving suspicious glances from passers-by who must have wondered why I was peering through binoculars, one community support office (a traffic warden) ending his shift engaged me in conversation demanding to know what I was up to.

Mercury had to wait until my first 2013 trip to the Canaries planned for June. Meanwhile I resolved never to attempt again on-street observing.


1 comment:

  1. From my experiences you should always find a suitable bush from which to observe from.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know your thoughts on this post: