2014-05-16

Jupiter: triple moon shadow transit


With my small refractor (WO GT-81) I enjoy observing Jupiter: its belts, zones, the GRS (the latter always looks a lighter grey to my retina) and the four Galilean moons. I've seen a few single and double transits of moons and shadows from my terrace in Central London ('EmmsTowers'). At the April AstroCamp in the Brecons, Wales I had fun observing a transit of Ganymede on Jupiter in clear BLUE skies through a friend's 16" bespoke Dobsonian - a first for me.

So when I learnt there will be a rare triple shadow transit occurring on June 03 beginning in daylight I was determined to have a crack at observing as much as can with my 'frac. At the critical time in the afternoon Jupiter will be in the western skies, a part of the heavens obscured by buildings at EmmsTowers so I've arranged for a few friends to join me to observe the event from Regent's Park.

 It will be fun to find Jupiter in blue skies and see what is on view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts on this post: