2013-03-13

Isle of Wight Star Party 2013

This year I decided to attend the Isle of Wight Star Party for the first time. Observing the heavens through C. London light polluted skies is difficult. Nearly all nebulae and galaxies are impossible to resolve through the city night air so I particularly keen to see as many of these DSOs as possible from the Island dark site.

Wed 6th March
Arrived on the Island on Wed afternoon after an hour's delay at Southampton ferry terminal awaiting frogman check of the ferry's propeller! All was well and arrived on Island to full cloudy sky and a little showers.Weather forecasts not great for the duration of the Star Party. Time will tell.

Thurs. 7th March
Awoke from my base in Cowes to grey skies and little drizzle. Local weather forecast for next 48 hours is 100% cloud cover.Sun sets at 18:00. Checked in with the organisers at the site in the afternoon and pitched up later after sunset in the hope of perhaps a little observing despite the gloomy weather forecast and the leaden skies.

I had a little time to introduce myself to a few of my fellow attendees, the majority of whom had travelled from the mainland to the island. This year was the first time I attended the event and I was pleased to learn a hundred astronomers had booked.

The clouds were working hard to obscure the skies so we repaired to the common room of the camping site to hear a couple of illustrated talks. The first was from Clare who showed pics of her Feb 2012 trip to see the aurora and geological features in Iceland. And David spoke of his participation in the successful attempt to create the largest mosaic photo of the Moon by a team of experienced UK astro-imagers. As David finished his talk he were informed the skies had cleared and stars were apparent! Cue a rush from the room's exit to view the heavens.

I quickly set up the WO GT-81 on the AZ4 and was soon observing old favourites, such as the Pleiades, the Beehive and the Double Cluster and was delighted the darker background of the clusters  made for a far more impressive spectacle than when seen in London skies. However hunting for nebulae and galaxies was thwarted by the enveloping clouds and a little drizzle put paid to the session at approx. midnight. Considering I had not expected any viewing time I was delighted with the first day.

Fri 8th March.
Again a grey mist greeted me in the morning and did not lift all day. I arrived at the Camp as the on-site astronomers were finishing their supper and it was obvious to all that no or very little observing time would be forthcoming. So we decided to have an educational evening in the common room; to begin a Q&A session when I asked about the timing of the Star Party (owners of the campsite returning from holiday, scheduling outside school holidays and the New Moon decided the dates). The pros and cons of the best and worst astronomical accessories were discussed.After a short coffee break various imagers explained the use of their favourite software programs.

The occluded skies being unchanging made for an early exit from the site with a hope for clearer skies over the weekend.

Sat 9th March.
Sunshine breaking through early mist raised my spirits as I arose. Driving to the camp through sun-light verdant countryside maintained my delight: perhaps this weather may hold and patience would be rewarded with clear nocturnal skies.

My WO GT-81 on AZ4 with the AstroChair
At the Camp a few found a little time for solar observing and later I set up my scope in the 'Dob park', an area set aside for visual observing, well away from the astro-imagers, for a bout of 'show and tell'

The sunshine was welcome as we whiled away the time with astro-chat, browsing astro-jumble and observing a kestrel perched on the top of a nearby telegraph pole. But the grey skies soon returned and the mists rolled in to the park extinguishing any hope of observing that night.







Sun 10th March
The weather deteriorated. Grey skies and strong gusts of wind. What some call 'bracing'. Satellite images made for glum viewing then it started drizzling: all before lunch. I arrived at the camp late afternoon with no expectation of observing that night. Some had admitted defeat and quited the Camp in the morning. We whiled the time in astrochat over hot drinks until the time came to leave for dinner in a nearby village pub as the snow fell which for me was the finale for IoW AstroCamp 2013.

Summary
In the four nights scheduled for stargazing the appalling weather allowed for less than one hour observing. So will I return in 2014? Absolutely, in the hope of better weather and clearer skies.
My thanks go to Stephen, Bill and Gill, organisers of the event. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts on this post: